"People have a natural capacity to affirm and embrace life in the most difficult of circumstances, and to help each other despite their circumstances."--Rachel Naomi Remen MD
"I believe in getting all the information I can where it will help me make educated decisions and create understanding about my medical situation. But I shy away from statistics that just give me numbers to fix my thoughts on—numbers that give me averages. I'm not average."--Caren Buffum, from Advanced Breast Cancer
- The Median Isn't the Message. Every cancer patient should read this illuminating essay written by scientist Stephen Jay Gould about receiving a dire prognosis.
- Standard Treatments in Common Use for the treatment of metastatic breast cancer, from AdvancedBC.org
- BreastCancer.org Metastatic Disease page. Research summaries, information on treatments, transcribed webcasts with oncologists, supportive advice, written for patients.
- PubMed, Medline, the National Library of Medicine's searchable database of scientific and medical literature, millions of abstracts.
- San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium (SABCS) The largest annual breast cancer oncology conference, abstracts from prior years, virtual conference website.
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) The largest annual oncology conference for all kinds of cancer, abstracts from prior years, virtual conference website.
- Medscape. Continuing medical education for physicians. Good conference coverage and review articles.
- ClinicalTrials.gov and NCI Clinical Trials Search. Clinical trials with eligibility criteria and contact information. Understanding clinical trials.
- National Cancer Institute breast cancer page. Links to NCI resources on breast cancer.
- NeedyMeds.com lists pharmaceutical companies that have patient assistance programs.
- Cancer Care. Good information on supportive care, teleconferences.